Wednesday, December 8, 2010

The Cake Composition

There is nothing like a 300 km drive (with a 4 tiered wedding cake) in maharashtras pot holes to actually make you ponder the things you haven’t cooked in a while. Especially if you’re travelling at 20 kms per hour because youre scared that the  20" diameter by 7" (and proportionately less layered) cake will topple, with the entire car/truck and rickshaw-tempo brigade honking blue murder at you.  Anyway. The thing that I haven’t made in the longest time (drumroll...)  is..

A CAKE!

I was addicted to baking cakes at one point. It was so easy. I knew the recipe for an amazing chocolate fudge cake by heart and putting it together was easier (and a distraction) from doing my homework. My grandmothers sister had given amma a cake book when she got married, and that was our cake bible. It had (now the cover has fallen off and the pages have yellowed) a red cover, but I cannot for the life of me remember what it was called. The only real disaster that ive had from that book was when I tried making a chocolate and vanilla marble cake,  and it came out rock solid and never rose. I have to confess though, that the poor book was never at fault as I later figured that I had put rice flour in the cake instead of maida! It rotted in our fridge for a good 2 weeks before we decided to throw the poor thing out.

Ive somehow never mastered the art of icing a cake. It seems too intimidating, and I haven’t had the inclination to tackle that particular roadblock yet!

The disaster drive with the 50K cake (for exactly 2 and a half seconds of film) has now inspired me to bake a cake and to ice it. And not any regular icing, but beautiful icing-- chocolate butter cream. Suggestions are welcome, as i still dont have that perfect icing recipe! more on the cake later. 

No comments:

Post a Comment