Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Welcome to the Fungle

Food. It has always been something that I have associated with comfort, love and happiness. I come from a family where everyone loves their food and dare I say it: maybe a bit too much!

Ever since I can remember, I have hung around in the kitchen, watching the adults around me cook. Our kitchen was and still is the most happening part of the house. I think my first real introduction to cooking was when my mother bought me a “cooking for kids” book. I spent a great deal of time reading that and dreaming about things that I could cook. When I came back home from school and I was old enough to be trusted in the kitchen, I would try out new recipes, invariably calling my mother a 100 times for advice. Though a few of my adventures in the kitchen didn’t turn out as planned, I was always encouraged to continue my cooking expeditions.
My friends were also very into food and cooking. Vaishali (my oldest and closest friend) and I would meet over the weekends and look at her mothers extensive cookbook, and drool over the recipes. One of my most memorable moments was when we all had a teenage girly ‘pot luck’ on Kiri’s terrace. We meticulously planned what all we were going to make a few days earlier – Dip, a bake and desert.

Cooking for me has now become a passion. I find that no matter how hard my day has been, cooking relaxes me. Usually the more complicated it is, the more I enjoy it. The idea for this blog was born on a bumpy rickshaw ride from work, when I was planning what I could cook that day. This blog is a tribute to the food that I cook, to what I eat and my eternal search for the best ingredients! 

No comments:

Post a Comment